IK Multimedia’s MODO Bass software was released a couple months ago, and everyone seems to really like it—all the early reviews have been very positive.
Watching some YouTube videos gives a pretty good idea of how it sounds and works, so I decided to put together this quick post with a roundup of video reviews and demos.
If I hadn’t just bought a new 5-string Squire VM Jazz Bass a few months ago I probably would buy MODO Bass.
Except I’m a better guitar player than a keyboard player so that doesn’t help (which isn’t saying much since I can barely play keyboard).
But it’s hard not to see the value of a plugin like this after watching a few video reviews. It definitely looks like fun to work with and the sound is impressive.
There are a ton of features to customize the tone. Here’s the main list from IK’s website, followed by several video reviews:
MODO Bass Features
- The first physically modeled electric bass virtual instrument
- Groundbreaking real-time modal synthesis technology — no samples used to create sound
- Recreate virtually every electric bass sound imaginable
- 12 iconic bass models that span the history of recorded electric bass
- Models the entire act of playing an electric bass – player, instrument, FX & amp
- Ultra-small memory footprint
- Choose playing style — pluck, slap and pick
- Freely move the playing hand for realistic performance
- Customize string force, fingers used, pick thickness & technique
- Customize string number, scale, tuning, gauge, construction, action, age
- 20 faithfully recreated, interchangeable iconic bass pickups with volume
- Choose active or passive electronics with parametric EQ
- Under-bridge piezo pickup with blend
- 7 bass stomp box effects configurable in 4-slot chain
- 2 iconic bass amps – Solid State and Tube derived from AmpliTube
- FX and amp global bypass for routing
- Optimized resizable interface
- Works as a 64-bit plug-in or standalone instrument for Mac/PC
- Full MIDI control with MIDI learn, keyswitches
- Full DAW automation control support
IK Multimedia MODO Bass Review
Another MODO Bass Review
IK Multimedia Modo Bass – TEST
MODO Bass Machine Gun Test
Below is a roundup of 15 different videos from IK demoing various features and showing how their bass modeling software works.